There is a Fine Line Between Sexy and Sleazy
Creating Sexy Clothing that is also Classy, is a bit tricky. Sexy and Classy could be opposite words in many cases. I wanted make a top with cut off shoulder A.K.A cold shoulder top mature woman can wear with style and class.
While most cold shoulder tops are geared towards young ladies, I found a picture of a mature woman wearing a cold shoulder top, with a class on one blog.
Not only is it a split sleeve design, but also it is made with animal pattern fabric!…risky combination to be a little “too sexy”. However, as you can see, this woman looks very elegant at her age (I don’t know how old she is, but I am assuming she is over 50).
Being inspired by this picture, I decided to create a cold shoulder top for myself too. The light blue “snake skin” pattern fabric was my impulse purchase and it was finally given an opportunity to come to the light of day!
How to Make A Classy Cold Shoulder Top
This is the sketch of the pattern I made.
- Lay sleeve pieces wrong side together. Stitch center seam 2cm down from top, leave 25cm for a slit and stitch 18cm down to the bottom.
- Press seam allowances open.
- Stitch both edges of seam allowances.
- Stitch sleeve hem(Green) and attach a bias right below the lower edge of the slit. Stitch center, edges, and top of bias to create a loop hole for the string(Red).
- Fold both edges of the string 1cm inward and stitch them together.
- Bring the string through the loop hole.
- Lay front and back pieces right side together and stitch shoulder seam, side seam and a hem. Attach sleeves, stitch neckline edge by folding it inside and whala!
Mission accomplished! I think it looks sexy, but Not sleazy and it also is functional too. Breeze coming into a slit on shoulders keep an extremely sweaty person like me, cool and comfortable. What do you think?