I hosted luncheon with my friends the other day and they all loved my “Tomato corn pie” and requested a recipe. I found this recipe at eatingwell.com. It is incredibly easy, simple, and delicious. The acidity of tomato, sweetness of corn, and saltiness of cheddar cheese creates a perfect harmony. The recipe starts with the step of making your own pie crust but I used a store – bought frozen pie crust and it made the difficulty of this easy recipe even easier!! So without farther due, let’s dive right into it!
- 1 Frozen deep dish pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 large ear) or frozen
- 1 TBS chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Leave frozen pie crust in room temperature for 15 minutes to defrost, and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes.
2. Let pie crust cool for at least 10 minutes up to 1 hour.
3. Preparing filling: Whisk eggs, milk, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
4.Sprinkle half of the cheese on the bottom of the crust and layer half of the tomatoes on top of cheese. Then Sprinkle corn, and repeat layer of cheese and tomatoes on top. Pour the egg mixture over the layers.
5. Bake the pie for 40 to 50 minutes in the oven.( Insert the knife and it it comes out clean, it is done!) Let it cool for 20 minutes.
This is such a versatile dish. You can enjoy this pie for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner. Great dish to bring to a Potluck party too and people will be asking you the recipe. If that happens, just send them over to my blog : ) Please let me know how yours came out by leaving a comment below. I would love to hear it! Bona petito!!